LBRA Summer Regatta
- Jul 17, 2022
- Long Beach Marine Stadium
- Long Beach, CA (USA)
- Hosted By: Long Beach Rowing Association
- 2022 USRowing Sanctioned Regatta
CLUB INFORMATION PACKET
2022 SUMMER SPRINT REGATTA
HOSTED BY LONG BEACH ROWING ASSOCIATION
Welcome to our inaugural Master’s Sprint Regatta in the Historic Marine stadium in Long Beach!
You will see that we are offering a full slate of age groups in all race categories, including adaptive racing and a full assortment of Novice races for the future of our programs to get out there and have some fun!
Please read through the information contained in this packet and let us know if you have any questions.
ARRIVAL & PARKING - Stadium Map
Trailers and Tow rigs
We welcome all visiting clubs to park your trailer in Marine Stadium any time after 8:00 am and before 8:00 pm on Saturday, July 16, 2022. Please plan to depart no later than 7:00 PM on Sunday, July 17, after racing.
Spectators and equipment trailers will be parking in two different locations within Marine Stadium, but all will be on the racecourse. Stadium Map
The trailer parking entrance is at Bayshore Drive and Paoli Way, Long Beach, CA. Trailers may begin parking at 8am on Saturday, July 16. You will have assigned beach parking which is clearly marked. We are also assigning spots on the beach to park your towing vehicle. Rowing is a collaborative sport so please be respectful of other clubs and work together to share the space on the beach. There will be overnight security at Marine Stadium.
The FIRE LANE must be always kept clear. The FIRE LANE is along the beach on the opposite side of the road from the sand closest to the homes.
- Keep the FIRE LANE clear.
- Do not pace equipment in the parkway in front of the homes as it can damage their “front yard”. These are our neighbors, and we ask that everyone respects their space.
The vehicle parking entrance for spectators is off the intersection of Appian Way and E. Third St., Long Beach, CA 90803. Be specific about this intersection in your navigation system for ease of locating the entrance. There is no charge for parking in the parking lot.
Vehicle parking will begin on Saturday, July 16, at 8:00 AM and Sunday at 6:30 AM. Be aware that the parking lot is DIRECTLY in front of homes so please keep the noise to a minimum on both days, thanks!!!
SATURDAY – PRACTICE
- The race course will be installed on Friday, and Saturday until Noon. Marine Stadium is closed to rowers prior to 1 PM. From 1 – 4:00 PM, the marshaled warm up area and racecourse is open to practice for participating crews. Launch from the beach and follow the traffic pattern carefully - Stadium Map.
- Please familiarize yourself with the warm-up instructions and the areas you will need to stage for Sunday racing. Once on the race course please proceed without stopping all the way across the finish line then return to the beach. All crews must be through the finish line and back on the beach by 4pm. Any crews beyond the Marine Stadium waterway do so at their own risk.
- Please make sure you are aware of all other crews in your proximity to ensure we have a safe and productive practice session.
- There will be a regatta team member at the Clerk of the course on Saturday afternoon from noon to 4pm to hand out Registration packets. Packets will include copies of the course map and information about our Saturday night event details.
Want to race but can't make the equipment work? LBRA is happy to rent you a quality shell at an affordable price for a single race or for the entire event. Please contact LBRA at [email protected] to reserve yours.
Coaches and Coxswains meeting
The coaches and coxswain meeting will be virtual this year and available online at the link above. There will also be a brief in person meeting on Sunday, July 17 at 6:45am at 7s to review the course map and to answer questions. All programs are expected to attend at least one of the meetings.
SUNDAY – WHEN YOU ARRIVE
- Gates open at 6:30 AM.
- If you haven't picked up your registration packet, please have one representative from your club check in at Registration(7s) by 7am. Final scratches will be conducted at the CC meeting Sunday morning. A scratch form has been included and will be available at the registration table.
- Please include the substitute name and new handicap age of the crew. All subsequent scratches or substitutions should be communicated to the Clerk of the Course throughout the day as soon as you know. Do not write out the entire lineup but just include the name(s) that are being scratched and/or swapped and the new handicap age.
- Follow Clockcaster.com for updated race schedule information.
Time to get ready to race!
The course will open to warm up traffic no earlier than 7:15am
Warm up Overview –
We will be using a fully tested staging system that will start just beyond the Davies Bridge. It is critical for everyone to be in the correct place at the correct time so that crews can have a calm and focused mindset before they enter the racecourse. The following warm up protocol will provide plenty of room to avoid crews being on top of each other and ensure that the regatta will run on time. All crews should be prepared to lightly paddle, scull for lateral position, and lightly back as needed to hold staging positions where instructed.
Crews not staging as instructed may receive a warning or be excluded.
Warm Up Instructions
Crews are to warm up beyond the bridge and stay in the warmup loop, which is a counterclockwise pattern to the seawall; please be aware of other crews as you make your loop turns at the turning buoys and please stay away from the middle of the loop! This is an open course so be aware of power boat and paddleboard traffic. Warm-up Map and Staging
There are 3 staging areas where crews will gather prior to their event:
- Gather at the bridge 20 minutes before your start time. Stop at the RED BUOYS as you are approaching the bridge. At 15 minutes prior to your race time, you will be called to the next area marked with Yellow buoys. Lanes 1, 2, 3 & 4 move forward through the middle span; lanes 5, 6 & 7, move forward through the right span.
- Next stop is YELLOW BUOYS. Lanes 1, 2, 3 & 4 will gather on the beach side and 5, 6 & 7 will gather near the LBRA boathouse side of the race course and hold until called up to the green buoys at 10 minutes to start.
- At 10 minutes, you will be called to the Shallow Marshall area marked with large GREEN BUOYS. Hold BEHIND your lane assignment UNTIL THE STARTER INVITES YOU ONTO THE COURSE.
Once the prior race clears breakage, you will be invited onto the course. Lanes are from 1 to 7 from beach side to boathouse side. Please enter and lock on quickly. USRowing sprint race start commands will be used, including quickstarts if needed..
The regatta will run on time, so please make sure you are behind the start when your event is called in. The starter will not wait for crews that are not present at race time.
There will be no control commission.
Crews/programs are solely responsible for meeting USRowing safety requirements for both athletes and equipment during this event.
Each club is responsible for bringing their own bow numbers for each race – Lanes 1 to 7. Displaying the correct bow number is imperative for the flow of the race. Please make sure you have the correct number!
There are no weigh-ins.
We have created an exciting new medal for this event.
Medals can be picked up approximately 1 hour after each race has concluded at the end of the beach near 7S.
The Long Beach Sprints regatta Team has designed some fantastic event shirts!
Shirts will be available for purchase at the registration area near 7s on Saturday afternoon from 1-4pm and all-day Sunday, while supplies last.
GOOD NEIGHBOR POLICY
Marine Stadium is in a residential area with homes located less than 50 feet from the beach. Essentially, this is their front yard. As host to the regatta, we like to remind visitors:
- Please keep noise to a minimum especially before 8:00 AM
- Pick up and dispose of all trash. There are plenty of trash and recycle bins that both the City of Long Beach and the Conservation Corp have provided. There are also large trash dumpsters located at either end of the beach area.
- Along the beach, please do not sit or stand in the landscaped parkway that is located between the road where trailers are parked and the houses. In addition, please do not lay oars in the parkway.
- Free entrance to the Lifeguard Museum located near Urban Espresso and 7S.
- ClockCaster – Our timing specialist!
The City of Long Beach does not have any requirements currently in place.
As many of you know, regattas would not be possible without the kind participation of countless volunteers. If you have someone within your program that can help, please have them contact us through email at [email protected]. This event is a collaborative effort, and we appreciate your club helping to make this regatta run smoothly!
GOOD INFORMATION TO KNOW
- 2nd street is a 10-minute walk from the course and offers a drug store, fabulous restaurants, coffee spots and shopping.
- Marine Stadium is a beach launch but not rocky. Low tide brings some seagrass, small rocks, and shells. Water socks are a good idea but not necessary.
- Bring your pop-up tents for team setup and don’t forget your beach chairs!
|Chief Referee||William Eldon|
|Entry Fees (USD)|
|Plus taxes if applicable|