Head of the Housatonic

  • Hosted By: New Haven Rowing Club
  • USRowing Sanctioned Regatta
  • Cancelled

October 5 Update

The Head of the Housatonic is canceled for this year. The river is likely to flood, driven by the previous weeks of rain north of our part of the river. Chief Referee Lyssa Bayne and FirstLight Power (whose dam controls the flow along our stretch of the Housatonic River) agree that, at flood stage, the river is unsafe for any vessel. We’ve held the Head of the Housatonic since 1994 and this is the first time we’ve had to cancel. We are very sorry for any inconvenience that this causes you.

We will work with RegattaCentral to refund 75% of all entry fees to all crews and athletes.  If you have paid for a parking pass with Habitat for Humanity they will reach out directly to you via email to offer you a refund of your donation.

Thank you for your understanding, and have a great rest of your fall season. If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected].

Your friends at New Haven RC

October 4 Update

Thank you to everyone who participated in this evening's C&C meeting for the Head of the Housatonic.  If you were unable to attend, you can find a link to watch a recording of the meeting on the regatta home page.:

As noted during the meeting, we are tracking the weather carefully for its potential impact on river conditions for Saturday.  We will continue this work through the day on Thursday before making a final call on whether to hold the regatta.  Competitor safety is our sole focus.

We will announce our final decision about the regatta no later than 7:30 p.m. Thursday with a post on the regatta home page and an email to all coaches and competitors through the RegattaCentral email system. Thank you so much.

Sept. 30 Update

The Head of the Housatonic is fast approaching and, despite the recent rains, we fully expect the river to be at normal levels by October 7. We are keeping an eye on the main field for trailer parking at Indian Well State Park, however, and may need to adjust our parking plans depending on how well it dries out before the regatta.

The regatta Coaches & Coxswains meeting will be on Zoom on Wednesday, Oct. 4 at 7:00 p.m. Eastern. You can find the link to the Zoom on our regatta home page. If you can't attend, we will post a recording sometime Thursday morning.

Two very important links to share with your athletes and especially with their parents/friends who plan to attend the regatta.

1) General FAQ covering common topics that parents and friends often ask about.

2) Offsite parking FAQ with instructions on how to prepay for offsite parking this year. We strongly encourage family and friends to prepay in order to make offsite parking operations run as swiftly and smoothly as possible.

Thank you for including the Head of the Housatonic in your fall race schedule. See you soon.

Matt Broder/New Haven RC

Website https://www.newhavenrowingclub.org/head-of-the-housatonic
Contact Matt Broder
Email [email protected]
Phone (203) 734-0125
Sanctioned by  
Chief Referee Lyssa Bayne Bayne
Juniors Yes
High School Yes
Middle School No
Collegiate Yes
Open Yes
Masters Yes
Elite No
Para No
Inclusion No
Entry Fees (USD)
Standard Cost
1x $65.00
2x/2- $110.00
4x/4+ $160.00
8+ $250.00
Beachfront Tent Site $175.00
Waterfront Tent Site $100.00
Plus taxes if applicable