McMaster 2x4 Challenge
- Mar 7, 2020
- McMaster University Student Center
- Hamilton, ON (CAN)
- Hosted By: Leander Boat Club
- Sanctioned by RCA and ROWONTARIO (2019)
McMaster 2x4 Challenge Regatta Package
1. EVENT DATE
Saturday March 7th, 2020
2. CHAMPIONSHIP FACILITY INFORMATION
McMaster University Student Center
Address: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON
Course: 12 racing ergometers, 18 warm-up ergometers
Race Distance: 8000 meters
Parking: Day rates apply (https://parking.mcmaster.ca/Rates.html)
The McMaster 2x4 Challenge is a unique relay style ergometer race. Teams of 4 compete over a distance of 8000m. Each team member must sit on the erg for at least one rotation. Rotations can be of any length and as frequent as desired.
3. ENTRY FEES AND DEADLINES
Entry Fee: $50 per team entry (Plus seat fees)
Marauder Challenge Entry: $10 (Plus seat fees)
RowOntario and Rowing Canada seat fees are $5.50 per person per race
Entry Deadline: March 1st, 2020 @ 11:59PM
All entries will be completed using Regatta Central. An entry is only valid when all crew members are named and the entry fee is submitted.
If the online entry deadline is missed, it is possible to register in person not less than thirty minutes before the scheduled race on race day. Late entries will be accepted at the registration desk upon payment of a late fee of ($10) plus the original entry fee. Late entry acceptance is at the discretion of the registrar, and may be denied if the race is full, or no lanes available in the race or if the request is made less than thirty minutes prior to the race time.
In the event of a cancellation, notifications will be emailed to all registered participants and posted on the Facebook Event Page a minimum of 2 hours before the start of the first race. Refunds will be issued.
4. REGISTRATION AND ELIGIBILITY
All athletes are required to check in with photo identification at the registration desk and pick up their registration card.
Lightweight athletes shall weigh no more than
Lightweight men - 165 lbs
Lightweight women - 135 lbs
Teams must consist of all athletes originating from the same organization.
New this year, there will be no JV events but universities will be allowed multiple entries in each of the varsity events
- Racing/training experience limited to role of coxswain having coxed a rowing race in a sanctioned regatta at least once during the 2019 regatta season.
- Must be 30 years of age or older on Race Day.
- Registered in a Full Time Program at a recognized Canadian or U.S. University or College.
- HS Junior:
- Under 16 years of age on January 1st, 2020 (CSSRA rules of racing)
- HS Senior/Club Junior:
- Under 19 years of age on January 1st, 2020 (CSSRA rules of racing)
- Novice athletes in their first year of rowing.
- Must be a member of a CrossFit organization.
- Two men and two women per team
- Marauder Challenge:
- Current student or an alumni of McMaster University.
- Open to any gender combinations
5. SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Registration desk and weigh-ins open at 7:00 am.
The first race will start at 8:00 am.
6. COMPETITION SCHEDULE
Tentative Schedule (may change depending on entry numbers):
- 8:00 – HS Jr / HS Jr Lwt Women
- 8:40 – HS Jr / HS Jr Lwt Men / Club Jr Mixed
- 9:20 – HS Sr / HS Sr Lwt Women / Club Jr Women
- 10:00 – HS Sr / HS Sr Lwt Men / Club Jr Men
11:00 HS/Jr Medal Presentation
- 11:45 - Univ Novice Women
- 12:20 - Univ Novice Men
- 12:55 - Crossfit Mix / Club Mix / Marauder Challenge Mix
- 1:30 - Univ Lwt Women / Club Masters Women
- 2:05 - Univ Lwt Men / Club Masters Men
- 2:40 - Univ Varsity Women / Club Open Women
- 3:15 - Univ Varsity Men / Club Open Men
3:45 University/Sr/Masters Medal Presentation
7. SPORT SPECIFIC RULES
A certified RCA umpire will supervise all races and weigh ins.
The McMaster 2x4 Challenge will be hosted and staged according to the 2018 RCA Rules of Racing, with the following exceptions:
- 2.3 Age categories of high school rowers – differ from the RCA rules and are aligned with the CSSRA age categories
- 2.7 Masters athletes shall be classified as 30+.
- 2.8 No handicap shall be applied to the masters events, results will be based on raw scores.
- 2.10 Lightweight athletes shall weigh no more than 165 lbs for men and 135 lbs for women
- 2.11 Lightweight rowers shall begin weighing in one hour before the first lightweight race of the day and can weigh in up their scheduled race time. If a rower exceeds weight, they shall race in the lightweight event but their time will be shifted up a weight class in the results.
8. THERAPY / MEDICAL SERVICES
Leander First Aid Team, coordinated by Megan Wurtele
McMaster Emergency First Response Team (E.F.R.T)
All competing athletes must have in their possession at the championship a piece of identification which bears their picture (acceptable I.D. includes current student cards, driver’s license, passport). Athletes competing in a University race must present a valid student I.D.
Athletes will be required to show photo identification at the registration desk when picking up their registration card.
Parking fees at on-campus lots. No admission fees.
11. SPORTS INFORMATION / RESULTS
Results will be available online at RegattaCentral.com and on the Facebook Event Page “McMaster 2x4 2020”.
12. AWARDS PRESENTATION
11:00 Trophy Presentation for morning races
3:45 Trophy Presentation for afternoon races
Warm-up and racing ergs will be provided by McMaster University Rowing Club and Leander Boat Club.
Coaches and coxswains will not be permitted in the race area during racing other than one assistant for each team to hold the ergs in place. The person holding the erg in place will not be allowed to touch the fly-wheel during the race and ay only hold on to the supporting structures.
This event requires a large number of volunteers. For details on how you can get involved please contact email@example.com.
15. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION