North Allegheny Indoor Rowing Championship/Erg in the 'Burgh
- Feb 22, 2020
- Marshall Middle School
- Wexford, PA (USA)
- Hosted By North Allegheny Rowing Association/ N. Allegheny H.S.
- 2020 Indoor Membership Regatta
2020 Erg in the 'Burgh Indoor Rowing Championships hosted by North Allegheny Rowing Association
Date: Saturday, 22 February 2020
Location: Marshall Middle School 5145 Wexford Run Road, Wexford, PA 15090
Thank you to all competitors, coaches, volunteers, families and friends for your participation in and support of the 19th Annual North Allegheny Indoor Rowing Championships/Erg in the 'Burgh. This event is a venue for our regional youth and scholastic athletes. The goal is to provide a safe and fun atmosphere in which our athletes can compete fairly. Again in 2019, we have events for adaptive rowers of all ages.
We hope you enjoy your day with us and wish the best to our guest competitors. If you have questions or need assistance, feel free to ask any of our parent volunteers.
- All competitors are required to submit their most recent time for 2000 meters so that race organizers may seed competitors.
- This event is a USRowing registered event. To comply with USRowing regulations, all participants must complete the once-a-year USRowing On-Line Waiver.
- Competitors may compete in one event only (except rowers may also enter the relay race, see below).
- All coaches must check in at the registration desk at least one hour prior to their team’s first event.
- Coaches and competitors should allow sufficient time to warm up, and be in the on-deck area at least five minutes before their event. Failure to register or be on deck at the appointed time may result in exclusion for the competitor.
- See below for details regarding weigh-ins for lightweight competitiors.
- An announcer will call competitors to the on-deck area. Failure to be in this area five minutes before the start of a race may result in the competitor missing important last-minute information as well as possible exclusion from the race.
Entry Fees are $20 per competitor during the Standard Registration period. A $5 late fee will applied during the Late Registration period. No fee for additional participation in the relay event. No fee for LTA or TA/AS competitors. No fee for Coaches Dash.
Registration opens Monday, January 15th, 2019.
Deadlines for Registration
- Standard Registration: Friday, February 15, 2019 @ 11:59pm.
- Late Registration: Monday, February, 18, 2019 @ 11:59pm.
- After February 18, 2019, please contact Joseph Greenberg, NARA Vice President at NARAErgRace@gmail.com.
Contacts: Bailey Chick, NARA Head Coach
Kyle Harder, NARA Vice-President
The first event is scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m., and the last event should be completed around 3:30 p.m. A final Schedule of Events will be sent to all coaches prior to the race date, and published on Regatta Central.
Weigh-in for Lightweight Competitors
All competitors will NOT be required to weigh in for the lightweight categories. Only those who medal in a lightweight event will be asked to weigh in at the conclusion of their race and failure to make weight will result in the medal being awarded to the next fastest competitor. THE ATHLETE WILL NOT BE ELIGABLE FOR AN OPEN CATEGORY MEDAL EVEN IF THEIR TIME IS IN THE TOP 3 OF THE OPEN CATEGORY, and their time will remain posted in the lightweight event. Please enter your athletes appropriately.
Weight Class Changes
A rower may change to a heavier weight class prior to the start of their event. The rower will not be physically moved to compete in his new event. Instead, the rower will race in his originally scheduled event with results being posted to the reclassified event. This is to minimize last minute changes to events, heats, and erg assignments and to help keep the day’s events on schedule.
Under no circumstances will a rower be allowed to move to a lower weight class from where he or she was originally registered, even if he or she makes weight for that class.
Event Specifications (See below for more detailed descriptions)
Lightweight Boys: 150 lbs. or less Girls: 130 lbs. or less (US Rowing Youth Crew weight limits)
Novice High School competitors only - must be in his/her first year of rowing. Seniors in High School
cannot compete in the Novice category.
Junior Varsity High School competitors only - must be a freshman, sophomore, or junior.
Varsity All High School Seniors must compete as Varsity. Relay teams that include one Senior, must be
in the Varsity relay event.
Adaptive Legs, Trunk, Arms (LTA), Trunk and Arms (TA)
Mixed Relay Race
At the conclusion of the regular races, there will be mixed relay races. Depending on interest, there may be up to two relay races (JV and Varsity). A relay team shall consist of 3 boys and 3 girls. Single-sex schools may combine with other schools to form such a relay entry.
Each participant in the relay must row 500 meters for a team total of 3,000m. The first rower begins seated on the machine. When the 500 meter interval is completed, the next competitor may approach the handle. Only the next rower may take the handle. The other relay competitors may hold the rowers feet or secure the foot straps but they may not touch the handle. Due to space constraints, no race “coxswains” are allowed within the racing area. Relay members may not interfere or obstruct other teams.
Award for first place only in the relay race, and no points are scored for the standings. No fee for additional participation in the relay event.
There are 2 events for adaptive competitors, one for Men and one for Women. Each event will include both:
Legs, Trunk, Arms (LTA), for athletes who are able to use at least one leg, their trunk, and their arms, and for those with visual impairments, cognitive impairments or intellectual disabilities.
Trunk and Arms (TA), for athletes who are able to use only their trunk and arm muscles. Arms and Shoulders (AS), for athletes with limited trunk control. For this regatta these categories apply to anyone needing a Fixed Seat.
No fee for LTA or TA/AS competitors.
500m Coaches Dash
No Coaches Dash is planned for this year. Should you want to re-live your glory days and show your rowers how it is supposed to be done, or if your teams would enjoy seeing you try, please let us know, and we may reinstitute it next year!
First, second, and third place medals will be awarded in all events except relay race. In events with multiple flights, the top three finishers will be determined after all flights are completed.
Competitors are responsible for their own warm-up. Several ergs will be available in a designated space. Please limit warm-ups to 10 minutes.
All competitors will compete in a finals-only format. Two or more events may run concurrently, but for separate medals. Competitors will be matched as closely as possible according to the times submitted on the registration form.
A certified paramedic will be on site during all races. UPMC Passavant Cranberry Hospital is located 3.6 miles from the race site.
Coaches are asked to be mindful of the following:
- Athletes fighting an illness should not compete.
- Athletes should eat 2-3 hours (but not less than two hours) before competing.
- Athletes should stay hydrated. Water will be available for purchase or rowers may bring their own water bottles.
- Athletes with asthma must have their inhaler with them during their warm-up and race.
- Athletes should take a brief cool-down period before getting off the ergs to avoid a spike in their heart rate.
- Race officials may, at their discretion, end an event after a reasonable time period. This is for the safety of athletes who may not physically be able to complete the race.
Points for each event will be awarded for individual high school events based on the following schedule:
Point totals for all events will be added to calculate team points, calculated for top Men’s Team, top Women’s Team and top Combined Team.
Have a Safe and Fun Day!
|Host/LOC||North Allegheny Rowing Association/ N. Allegheny H.S.|
|Chief Referee||Not yet posted|
|Entry Fees (USD)||