Head of the Passaic
- Oct 11, 2014
- Passaic River
- Rutherford/Lyndhurst, NJ (USA)
- Hosted By: Nereid Boat Club, Inc.
- 2016 Registered Regatta
COURSE MAP AND INSTRUCTIONS
Please check back closer to the regatta date for detailed launching instructions.
The race start is ~1.5 miles north from PRRA and 0.5 mile south from Nereid, please leave enough time to reach the start. Each competitor is responsible for arriving at the starting line at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled starting time for the event. Therefore, from PRRA, plan to allow at least 35 minutes, and from Nereid 20 minutes, total time, for rowing to the start with 10 minutes to spare. Course marshals will direct competitors in the marshaling area above the starting line. At the start, shells will be started at 20-second intervals. Late starts will only be permitted at the discretion of the starting launches.
Rowing the Course
For those who have rowed in the Head of the Passaic in previous years, there are some important changes to the course to keep in mind:
- The course has been changed to avoid problems with ongoing construction at one of the bridges - hence even if you rowed the course before join us at the Coxswain meeting!
- Two-way traffic will be maintained on the river at all times. Boats will race on the west side (left side on the map) of the river, then return to their dock on the east (right) side.
- Only the bridge arches designated by buoys may be used. Going through a different arch is dangerous and will be penalized.
- No passing zones start some distance before each bridge (indicated by buoys).
- After finishing, boats should row to the large red buoy before turning around.
To download a PDF of this page click here.