LBRA Christmas Regatta
- Dec 5, 2021
- Long Beach Marine Stadium
- Long Beach, CA (USA)
- Hosted By: Long Beach Rowing Association
- 2021 Registered Regatta
Heat Sheet: ClockCaster Start List
CLUB INFORMATION PACKET
2021 CHRISTMAS REGATTA
HOSTED BY LONG BEACH ROWING ASSOCIATION
ARRIVAL & PARKING - Stadium Map
This year, we have expanded our time for visiting club trailers to arrive and added a marshaled practice on the race course. You are welcome to park your trailer in Marine Stadium any time after 8:00 am and before 8:00 pm on Saturday, December 4. Please plan to depart no later than 7:00 PM on Sunday, December 5, after racing.
Spectators and equipment trailers will be parking in two different locations within Marine Stadium but all will be on the race course (see attached map):
The trailer parking entrance is at Bayshore Drive and Paoli Way, Long Beach, CA. The entrance for the trailers will start at 8:00 AM on Saturday, December 4. You will have assigned beach parking. I have spoken with every club who is attending to discuss how we are assigning spots on the beach and where to park your towing vehicle. Rowing is a collaborative sport so please be respectful of other clubs and work together to share the space on the beach. Look for your Club name clearly marked on the beach.
The vehicle parking entrance for spectators is off of the intersection of Appian Way and E. Third St., Long Beach, CA 90803. Be specific about this intersection in your navigation system for ease of locating the entrance. There is no charge for parking in the parking lot. Vehicle parking will begin on Saturday, December 4, at 7:00 AM and Sunday at 6:30 AM. Be aware that the parking lot is DIRECTLY in front of homes so please keep the noise to a minimum on both days.
SATURDAY – ARRIVAL & PRACTICE
- We are glad that so many clubs are coming into town earlier in the day on Saturday. Plan to park and unload. There will be security overnight in Marine Stadium. Leaving personal items in the trailer is at your own risk.
- On Saturday, Marine Stadium is closed to rowers prior to 12:00 PM. From 12 – 4:00 PM, the marshaled race course is open for practicing crews. Launch from the beach and use the lane that is marked by buoys (technically the return lane) to head up to the start. Come through the stake boat docks for practice up the stadium and then use the return lane ONLY to return to the beach or the start.
- All Crews must be off the Marine Stadium course by 4:00 PM.
- Any crews beyond the Marine Stadium waterway outside of practice times do so at their own risk.
- Coach & Coxswain meeting is at 4:30 PM at 7S
SUNDAY – WHEN YOU ARRIVE
- Have one representative from your club check in at Registration which is located near the 7S restrooms at the end of the beach toward the finish line, first thing Sunday morning. The Clerk of the Course will be at Registration and available at 6:30 AM to take all scratches. Have your representative provide any scratches as they occur to the Clerk of the Course. Final scratches will be conducted at the CC meeting Sunday morning. A scratch form has been included and will be available at the registration table.
- Substitutions: Please include the substitute name and new handicap age of the crew. All subsequent scratches or substitutions should be communicated to the Clerk of the Course throughout the day as soon as you know. Do not write out the entire lineup but just include the name(s) that are being scratched and/or swapped and the new handicap age.
- Each club will receive a hard copy of the Heat Sheet and any updates for the day.
- Coach and Coxswain meeting is at 6:45 AM.
COACH & COXSWAIN MEETING
The Coach & Coxswain’s meeting will be held at the Registration area on:
- Saturday, December 4, at 4:30 PM
- Sunday, December 5, at 6:45 AM
This meeting is mandatory. All programs must attend one of these sessions.
We have an updated staging system this year to alleviate congestion prior to the start and will be presenting other critical regatta information. Failure to follow the staging protocol may result in the crews receiving a warning or being excluded.
Again, it is expected that at least one coach from each team is in attendance and it is recommended that all coxswains attend. Chief Eldon will be noting which clubs are in attendance.
Warm up Overview – This does NOT take the place of the C & C meeting
Due to the number of entries, we have set up a staging system that will start just beyond the Davies Bridge. It is critical for everyone to be in the correct place at the correct time so that crew have a calm and focused mindset before they enter the racecourse. The following warm up protocol will provide plenty of room to avoid crews being on top of each other and ensure that the regatta will run on time. All crews should be prepared to lightly paddle, scull for lateral position, and lightly back as needed to hold staging positions where instructed.
Crews not staging as instructed may receive a warning or be excluded.
Warm Up Instructions
Crews are to warm up beyond the bridge and stay in the warmup loop, which is a counterclockwise pattern to the seawall; please be aware of other crews as you make your loop turns at the turning buoys and please stay away from the middle of the loop! This is an open course so be aware of power boat and paddleboard traffic Warm-up Map and Staging for race.
There are 3 staging areas where crews will gather prior to their event:
- Gather at the bridge 20 minutes before your start time. Stop at the RED BUOYS as you are approaching the bridge. At 15 minutes prior to your race time, you will be called to the next area. Lanes 1, 2, 3 & 4 move forward through the middle span; lanes 5, 6 & 7, move forward through the right span.
- Next stop, Start Marshall – look for YELLOW BUOYS. Lanes 1, 2, 3 & 4 will gather and 5, 6 & 7 will gather near the LBRA boathouse side of the race course and hold until called up at 10 minutes to start.
- At 10 minutes, you will be called to the Shallow Marshall area. Hold BEHIND your lane assignment.
Once the prior race clears breakage, you will be invited onto the course. Lanes are from 1 to 7 from beach side to boathouse side. Please enter and lock on quickly. US Rowing sprint race start commands will be used.
There will be no control commission. There will be safety equipment spot checks of boats.
Crews are solely responsible for meeting US Rowing safety requirements for the athletes and equipment during this event.
Each club is responsible for bringing their own bow numbers for each race – Lanes 1 to 7. Displaying the correct bow number is imperative for the flow of the race. Please make sure you have the correct number!
There are no weigh-ins for any competitors.
Medals can be picked up at the end of the beach near 7S.
GOOD NEIGHBOR POLICY
Marine Stadium is in a residential area with homes located less than 50 feet from the beach. Essentially, this is their front yard. As host to the regatta, we like to remind visitors:
- Please keep noise to a minimum especially before 8:00 AM
- Pick up and dispose of all trash. There are plenty of trash and recycle bins that both the City of Long Beach and the Conservation Corp has provided. There are also large trash dumpsters located at either end of the beach area.
- Along the beach, please do not sit or stand in the landscaped parkway that is located between the road that trailers are parked, and the houses. In addition, please do not lay oars in the parkway.
- Urban Espresso will be providing breakfast and lunch items. (Urban Espresso Menu).
- Sew Sporty is providing a diverse array of rowing apparel.
- NEW -Vantage LED will be stationed near the end of the beach for live broadcasting the races on a dual sided screen. Come watch the live-streaming that is being filmed by Drone Studios and broadcast on TRC – The Rowing Channel!
- LBRA will be selling t-shirts.
- Try out the erg warm-up tent and meet the CrewLab staff who offer a specialized erg training program to make you quick on the erg and on the water.
- Free entrance to the Lifeguard Museum from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM which is located near registration.
- ClockCaster – Our timing specialist!
- Long beach Rowing Association is following the City of Long Beach protocols for COVID -19. No face masks are required outside at this time but social-distancing is strongly recommended.
- Junior Clubs: Thank you for appointing a COVID-19 representative. Read through the attached Exposure Management Plan provided by the City of Long Beach’s health and human Services. If there is an exposure of confirmed COVID-19 case over the event weekend, notify Kristina Duggan who is your contact.
- Each club needs to review, sign and return the agreement that you have read the Exposure Management Plan, you have no known exposures or confirmed cases of COVID-19 and that all unvaccinated junior attendees will be tested prior to racing on Sunday. Junior Clubs: COVID Agreement
- USRowing Event/Registered Regatta Planning Guidelines During COVID-19
Thank you for providing volunteers to help us run the Christmas Regatta. Please have them check in at the Registration table. This event is a collaborative effort and we appreciate your club helping to make this regatta run smoothly.
GOOD INFORMATION TO KNOW
- Marine Stadium is a beach launch but not rocky. Low tide brings some seagrass, small rocks and shells.
Water socks are a good idea but not necessary.
- Bring your pop-up tents for team setup and don’t forget your beach chairs!
- 2nd Street is a 10-minute walk from the course and offers a drug store, fabulous restaurants, coffee spots and shopping.
|Chief Referee||William Eldon|
|Entry Fees (USD)|
|Plus taxes if applicable|