Head of the Lake
- Nov 6, 2016
- Lake Union, Montlake Cut, Lake Washington
- Seattle, WA (USA)
- Hosted By Lake Washington Rowing Club
- USRowing Registered
The Head of the Lake is a USRowing Registered Regatta. We adhere to the USRowing Rules of Rowing as outlined in the USRowing Rules of Rowing Manual.
For HOTL specific information, please refer to The 2016 Head of the Lake race booklet .
Head of the Lake Penalty Summary HOTL Course Map
- Dangerous corner! “Pocock Turn” If the racing shell of any crew or individual crosses over the port side buoy line the individual rower or crew will be disqualified.
- “Montlake Cut” and 100m east of the University Bridge to the South end of Ivar’s restaurant. Any crew or individual rower entering the warm up lanes (while racing) or racing lanes (while warming up) in these two areas may be excluded. Referee will determine this based on the circumstances.
- Navigational buoy past Foster Island: If a crew holds down (port side) while making this turn the crew will be excluded. All rowers must keep rowing! NOTE: If a crew has to hold down to avoid colliding with another crew the referee stationed there will take note and make an allowance for this.
- Where buoys mark the boundaries of the course a crew or individual rower will be penalized 10 seconds for each buoy they pass incorrectly.
- Interference with another crew either failing to yield safely to allow a boat to pass (blocking their path intentionally) or the passing boat not allowing time for the crew they are passing to yield to the passer safely will result in a penalty being assessed. It will be at the referee’s discretion as to the penalty assessed.
- Penalty Code Description Penalty
- TP Traffic Pattern Violation reprimand / warning
- TPX Traffic Patter Violation with Collision exclusion
- OO Out of start order reprimand / warning
- OOX Out of start order exclusion
- IN Invisible Number no race time
- CBX Cross Buoy line/ Pass in no pass zone exclusion
- FCX Force Crew into opposite traffic disqualification
- MB Missed Buoy 10 sec
- HDX Hold Down on Turn exclusion
- FY Failure to Yield 60 sec
- FYX Failure to yield with contact exclusion
- IF Interference 60 sec
- IFX Interference with contact exclusion
- NPX Pass in no pass zone exclusion
- UP Unsafe pass 60 sec
- UPX Unsafe pass exclusion
- DRX Flagrant Disregard for Rules disqualification
- FF Fail to Follow instructions 60 sec
- FFX Fail to Follow instructions exclusion
- LRX Leave Rower in water alone disqualification