Head of the Cuyahoga
- Sep 19, 2009
- Cleveland Rowing Foundation
- Cleveland, OH (USA)
- Hosted By Cleveland Rowing Foundation
- 2016 Registered Regatta
|2009 :: 14th ANNUAL HEAD OF THE CUYAHOGA|
In September of 1856, the first rowing competition on the Cuyahoga River took place.
As reported in the local papers, over 20,000 people attended this event as The Ivanhoe Boat Club of Cleveland won its race against the Rover Boat Club of Sandusky.
The Mazeppa, a men's four with coxswain, was raced from what is now the West 3rd Street bridge to what is now the Carter Road bridge (1.5 miles) in 12:05.
Today, the West 3rd Street bridge overlooks the starting line, and the Carter Road bridge is next to the Spectator Village and the boathouse/launch site for The Head of the Cuyahoga (HOTC).
The Head of the Cuyahoga began in 1996, as a successor to 7 years of sprint racing inside the break-wall of Lake Erie. Now in its 14th year, the HOTC averages 250+ entries, 1000+ rowers from 35+ different clubs over 6+ states, racing on one of the most technically challenging head racing courses in the country.